An easy recipe for Cinnamon Granola, made with simple ingredients, that’s great for breakfast or a healthy snack. This homemade granola is gluten free, dairy free, and has a vegan option.
We’ve been eating store-bought granola lately and I've realized how expensive it can be. So, I decided it was time to try my hand at making the granola at home.
I discovered it was easy and less expensive to make my own granola. Another benefit to making it myself is I know exactly what’s in it.
There are lots of flavors of granola out there, but I wanted to start with something simple. This no-frills, cinnamon granola fits the bill. I love how the mild cinnamon/vanilla flavor doesn’t overpower whatever I pair the granola with.
Although this is the first granola recipe I’m sharing with you, there will definitely be more to come in the future.
Why this Recipe Works
- The granola is simple to make with 6 ingredients and 10 minutes to prep.
- It’s easy to customize with your choice of add-ins.
- Using a combination of cinnamon and vanilla gives the granola a delicious earthy flavor.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Old-fashioned oats (certified gluten free) - To keep this recipe gluten free, I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. If you don’t need to avoid gluten, you can use regular rolled oats.
- Cinnamon - Ground cinnamon.
- Salt - Table salt.
- Vanilla - Pure vanilla extract.
- Honey - I use honey to sweeten the granola. To keep the recipe vegan, you can substitute maple syrup.
- Oil - I use coconut oil, but another neutral oil like olive oil will also work.
How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Granola
(For ingredient amounts see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
Place the coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Add the honey and whisk until combined.
Place the bowl back in the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds, then whisk in the vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir until all the oats are coated.
Transfer the granola to the prepared pan and spread into a thin, even layer.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the granola is a light golden brown.
Allow the granola to cool completely before breaking into chunks.
- Nuts - Stir in ½ cup chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts to the oat mixture.
- Fruit - Try adding some chopped dried apples, raisins, or chopped dried cherries to the granola after it has been baked.
- Chocolate - Chopped pieces of white chocolate or white chocolate chips would be delicious with this recipe. If you decide to add some chocolate, make sure to wait until after the granola has cooled before stirring in the chocolate.
More Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes
Certified Gluten Free Oats
Pure oats are naturally gluten free, but how they are processed and stored can lead to cross-contamination from other grains like wheat, barley, and rye.
As a Celiac, I’m always careful to use certified gluten free oats. Not all people living with Celiac disease can tolerate oats. If you’re able to tolerate oats, consider using oats that are certified gluten free.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
I don’t recommend using quick oats in this recipe. Quick oats are smaller and thinner than rolled oats and can become soggy when combined with the liquid ingredients.
Store the granola, at room temperature, in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
You can also freeze the granola, in a freezer-safe container or bag, for up to 3 months.
Serve the granola with yogurt or milk for breakfast. Sprinkle it over ice cream for dessert. Or eat it plain, by the handful, any time of day.
If you enjoy eating granola for breakfast, or snacking on it throughout the day, give this easy recipe a try. The cinnamon flavor, vanilla, and oats make this tasty granola hard to resist!
More Recipes with Gluten Free Oats to Try!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, don't forget to leave a star rating and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I really enjoy hearing from you!
Cinnamon Granola (gluten free, dairy free, vegan option)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup honey (vegan, use maple syrup)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
- Place coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Add the honey and whisk until combined.
- Place the bowl back in the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds, then whisk in the vanilla.
- Pour over the oat mixture and stir until all the oats are coated. Transfer the granola to the prepared pan and spread into a thin, even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the granola is a light golden brown.
- Allow the granola to cool completely before breaking into chunks.
- To keep this recipe gluten free, use certified gluten free oats.
- Replace the honey with maple syrup to keep the recipe vegan.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on products and brands you use. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the ingredients you are using with your preferred nutrition calculator.