If you like cheese and potatoes, you will love this Creamy Cheese and Potato Soup. It's easy to make and loaded with chunks of potatoes, melted cheese, and delicious flavor.
Sometime we need a little comfort food to help us through the dark, cold, and dreary nights during the Fall and Winter months. There's something warm and fuzzy about a big bowl of hearty soup or chowder. It's like a fluffy robe and slippers for your tummy.
Usually I'll turn to my slow cooker for making chowder or soup, but this recipe can be prepared in a Dutch oven or soup pot. It's ready to eat in less than an hour, and you can find all the ingredients at your local grocery store.
Using a Dutch oven makes it a one pot dish for me. I can cook the bacon (for the garnish) and the soup, and not dirty another pan. Having less dishes to wash is always a good thing. 😊
This soup comes together rather quickly, especially when you have a sous chef on hand that is great at chopping veggies.
- If you don't like sharp Cheddar, you can substitute the medium or mild version.
- Russet or red potatoes can be used instead of the Yukon gold, but you'll want to peel the russets.
- You can substitute olive oil for the bacon drippings, if you prefer to leave out the bacon. (Not sure why you would want to leave the bacon out, but you could.)
- When cooking the onion, celery, and garlic be sure to stir frequently to prevent the garlic from burning.
When serving the soup, I like to garnish with the cooked bacon and a dollop or two of sour cream. What could be better for topping cheese and potato soup than bacon and sour cream?
The soup stores well in the fridge for 3-4 days and is just as good, if not better, when reheated. It also makes for a hearty lunch during the week.
This cheese and potato soup will be making several appearances on our dinner table over the coming months. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Find more delicious recipes in the Recipe Index.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, don't forget to leave a star rating and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I really enjoy hearing from you!
You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more of the delicious food I'm making!
Creamy Cheese and Potato Soup
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Sour cream (optional)
- Cook bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Once cooked, place the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the Dutch oven.
- Add the onions, celery, and garlic to the Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the garlic from burning.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, dry mustard, and paprika and stir until combined, cooking about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Place the lid, slightly ajar, on the Dutch oven to allow steam to escape. Cook about 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Roughly mash the potatoes and add in the half-and-half and Cheddar cheese.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Top each serving with the bacon and a dollop of sour cream.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on products and brands you use. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the ingredients you are using with your preferred nutrition calculator.
Yummy! ! We are going to get a cold front next week, here in Texas. I am thinking soup weather.
Flavor Walk says
We've had some cold wet weather the last couple of weeks. The nice thing for us is we get to have it for dinner and then for lunch later in the week. Hope you like it!
Gaye Rebar says
I plan to make this soup next week. Thanks
Flavor Walk says
Hi Gaye! I hope you like it. Thanks for visiting my blog. Check back any time!